Fab jelly roll received for Christmas prezzie from Mr NB (boy done good), after looking at some awesome quilts on Instagram I’ve decided that’s the way to go with this.
Laid all the luscious strips out & there’s some super cool prints, all Rowan fabric…liberty & Westminster
Spent a couple of hours on my panels last night, Archie the Patterdale terrier as per usual was checking out the progress!
I’ve got 4 days off work to make up for being there most of Xmas…yayyyy lots of scrappy quilt making hours! Had to go get a 2nd Jelly Roll as I’ve cut the 1st one so that I could make some cushion fronts & a smallish lap quilt. After discussions with the master of the house who feels colours are wrong for our front room I’m thinking its got to be a bigger quilt & it’s destination will be our bedroom.
spent a good deal of time prepping this afternoon, I’d made a schoolboy error of cutting my strips 12″ instead of 16″ which caused me some confusion & a good deal of effing n jeffing ( in my head!) but I’m just going with it & don’t seem to be making the “panels” of cut & sewn squares too weird a shape. Anyway I WILL make it all fit together in end I’m sure (she says confidently)…. He who dares n all that 😬
Here’s the tutorial
Finished my squares 30 in all…now hardest part so far…what layout 😁 I tried a couple of ways with zig zag pattern & all diagonal lines but I do like the more traditional boxes tipped on their side look.
Spent all day at work with fingers crossed that my new wandering foot would arrive from eBay, all the books & YouTube videos assure me that’s all I need to make my normal Singer confidence machine ready to quilt, yayyyy it had arrived so here goes…
OMG! This is NOT easy… such a bulk to work with. I’ve decided to stitch across the squares rather than along sides of them. The new foot does help as its got feed dogs incorporated but its still a wrestle! It does get easier the more you do as the quilting process compresses it all.
Another couple of hours with this last night, it’s starting to get slightly easier to work now I’ve done more lines of stitching too compress the wadding. Still had too unpick a few bits where the backing a puckered or got a little pleat
I gave myself a couple of evenings off this WIP mainly because the quilting of its been hard going for me on my Singer. I think I will need to invest in those “sticky” gloves I’ve seen on the American tutorials as pushing it through the machines had given me arm ache & a stiff neck & these apparently help
Loving the progress of this quilt. Knit-Spin-Quilt