OK, so when we saw that the lovey Shonté from Haute Havoc had nominated us for a Liebster Award we were a little overwhelmed. We never really thought anybody would look at our blog, let alone like it. You may be wondering what is a Liesbater Award, well technically its not an award, its a way of getting the word out about new up and coming blogs with 300 followers or less. It gives these new blogs a chance to be seen by more people who may not have found them otherwise. It’s said it originates from Germany, which is quite apt as the word Liebster has many English translations including welcome.
There are some thing you need to do when nominated. These are
1. Answer the 11 questions set by your nominator.
2. Post 11 facts about yourself.
3. Ask 11 questions for you nominees.
4. Nominate 11 bloggers.
5. Go to their blog and tell them.
So here goes,
11 questions Haute Havoc asked us
1. Where do you find inspiration or ideas for your blog?
Lizzy; Recently ive been using Instagram & have found a lot of inspiration from the beautiful craft projects people post about on there. I love trawling eBay for old & vintage sewing patterns & had lots of fun making things prior to Christmas from some of my bargain buys from there. Also it has to be said Kirstie Allsopps various series always get little cogs whirring & ive tried a few new crafts after seeing her having a go.
Laurie; Um, my mum.
2. How often do you sit down and blog, uninterrupted? Do you schedule time for it, or do it on the fly?
Lizzy; As our blogs sites less than 3 weeks old its still a big learning curve for myself, I generally have a little blog from my iphone on my bus journey into work! As I use it to take all my pictures on I find it easier to use the wordpress app . I do have a look online every few days to see how its all going…& check for spelling mistakes!
Laurie; I just kind of go for it. I don’t tend to plan what I will write about or when, that’s why on some days you get a blog from us both or none at all.
3. What is your favourite way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
Lizzy; Oh thats easy! My ideal Sunday is to be home alone (sorry Mr N-B) with all the housework done (or at least thought about) & a few hours to work on my current project. Im obsessed with long running radio 4 drama The Archers so Sundays my chance to listen to the omnibus edition………bliss!
Laurie; Relaxing and eating a roast (cooked by somebody else of course) Also, Sunday is the day I do my nails.
4. Favorite item in the room you’re in right now:
Laurie; That’s easy, my beautiful 1929 Singer sewing machine, and my beautiful mum.
5. What’s a goal you have for 2013?
Lizzy; well im pretty hooked on quilting now so no doubt every surface will eventually get a quilt draped over it! Ideally id like to have a go at some new crafts this year…dressmaking being one & needle felting another.
Laurie; Pass my first year at Uni and to have my sleeve finished (after 7 years!!)
6. What’s the best present you’ve ever received?
Lizzy; My Singer sewing machine from Mr N-B last May was awesome & allowed me to really enjoy my crafting on a differant level. He just got me a tailors dummy for Xmas so thats my 2nd best prezzie.
Laurie; Probably aformantioned Singer, it was very thoughtful and unexpected.
7. You have to play one song on constant repeat for an entire day. Which song do you choose?
Lizzy; Probably any track by Alabama 3, I couldnt choose as it varies everyday.
Laurie; Hold the line by Toto (I know, I know, it does nothing for my cool)
8. Last film you saw in theaters and loved?
Lizzy; well I dont especially go to see films but I DO go to the actual live theatre regularly as Mr N-B works there so often get cheaper tickets. I have to say the recent musical show “Oliver” blew me away.
Laurie; I actually cant remember the last time I went, it cost way too much 😦 Like mum said, Oliver was truly amazing
9. What is your best talent or skill?
Lizzy; I guess its my sewing skills are pretty good, im patient so I dont mind projects that take a while to complete. Im ok at knitting & in the past ive made many cross stitch pictures , applique & embroidery but my passion is for patchwork.
Laurie; My ability to be the most clumsy person in the room. This is so bad that I actually went to the doctors because I was falling over nothing ALL the time. Turns out, I’m just incapable of being normal.
10. If you had a super power, what would it be?
Lizzy; Id really like to be able to find out in advance what the Lotto numbers will be, its about time I won so I could pursue my dream to retire & spend all day sewing!
Laurie; To be honest, I don’t think I would want to have a super power. I’m alerady awesome lol.
11. What’s your ultimate dream for your blog? How will you measure its “success?”
Lizzy; I`m blown away that we have had as many hits as we have in this 1st 3 weeks, im really pleased when ever we get a comment as honestly I didnt think anyone would be at all inmterested! Its lovely if anything i`ve blogged about inspires someone to have a go.
Laurie; For me its just to share our passion for crafty stuff. How would I measure its success? By the followers, likes, comments and being nominated for the Liebster award.
Now 11 facts about each of us.
1.I owned & ran a small hippy shop called Lucretia for 10 years.
2.I learnt all my sewing & knitting skills from my Mum when I was very young & she also taught me patchwork.
3.I lost 8.5st with Slimming World when I was 40
5.Im step mum to 5 assorted kids & step Nan to 4 more grandchildren…..Xmas IS expensive hence so much sewing!
6.Ive been in a national newspaper!
7. When i was 10 years old I delivered a litter of 4 Basset Hounds, my Mum bred them & at one point we had 14 puppies & two mummy`s! Yayyyyyy so sweet.
8. I have rather a lot of tattoo`s, I seem like a really normal lady but I have another side to me…it stays hidden most of the time tho 😉
9.I have two adoreable dogs, Archie the Patterdale Terrier who is 7 & Izzy the Border Terrier…..they both have their own Twitter accounts!!!
10. I have Rhesus D negative blood, I always joke that its just me & Prince Charles that have it & that we both have red phones in our homes so that if either of us should ever need a pint of blood we can contact each other!!!! Tis an almost true story 😉
11. I detest oranges…something to do with my mother when i was very small I should imagine, infact I can most definately say I could never ever eat an orange/satsuma or tangerine…not even to save my life!!!!
- After 8 years I got back into education and completed a 2 years Forensic Science coursee with D*D*D* (I’m smarter than I look)
- I am currently studying Chemistry.
- I have LOTS of tattoos ( I shall blog about these at a later date)
- When I was younger I wanted to work in a funeral parlor, I still do.
- I was born in Norwich hospital, it’s now demolished.
- I’m a giant cheese ball, I LOVE Toto, Journey (not the mangled Glee rubbish) and Genisis.
- Phill Collins is my secret crush (Not so secret anymore)
- I’m am the cakey bakey lady of the family. I have made all sorts form a giant sandwich, a dragon (Trogdor to be exact) and christmas trees.
- My Grandad was the most amazing man I have ever met and I love him more than anyone else in the world. I adored him and followed him round like a puppy. He also taught me lots of woodwork skills which have come in handy doing up my house.
- My partner is the second most amazing man I have ever met. These 6 and a half years have been amazing and I can’t imagin my life without him.
- I love eggs!
This last part was the hardest; there are so many great new blogs.
Our 11 questions
1. What inspires you to blog?
2. Which 3 people from anytime in history would you like to share a meal with?
3. Ketchup or Brown sauce?
4.Whats your favourite item in the room with you now?
5. Which of your ancestors would you most like to have met?
6. Whats your favourite way to spend a Sunday?
7. If you were a biscuit, what biscuit would you be?
8. Which music track would you play to lift your spirits?
9. Where`s your favourite place to be & why?
10. When you were a child what did you want to be when you grew up?
11. What are your aspirations for 2013?